9/16/2010

tempest


Credit: Sarah O Driscoll

Well, it's a grey and rainy mess here in Montreal. I don't know about you, but on these types of days, I prefer to listen to old tunes. There's something comforting about playing songs that you've bumped the living hell out of, I suppose. Not much to say today, besides enjoy.

Freeway- Goodbye
One of the most original love/breakup songs in the history of rap, as weird as that sounds. Freeway rides this unbelievably soulful sample so well that you can't help but listen til' the end.

SIS- Nesrib
Ah, my favorite house song of '08. Germany's maestro of rhythm, SIS, most known for his colossal hit Trompeta, is the creator of this hypnotic and soulful hit, which samples Vanessa Williams' The Right Stuff to amazing effect. This song still has the same effect on me that it did two years ago: I close my eyes, groove to the great beat and dance with reckless abandon (read: flail my arms around like a fool)

Clipse ft Jadakiss, Styles P & Roscoe P Coldchain- I'm not you, rapper
This is the song that really opened up my eyes to Clipse's lyrical prowess. Every single verse is amazing, honestly. Everyone comes correct, and the minimal Neptunes beat allows the lyrics to shine. The wave of "cocaine rap" is often vilified, and often deservedly so, for glorifying a lifestyle that creates social ills, but Malice's verse (the last one) is one of the first times I've ever heard a "coke rapper" be so self-aware and filled with regret. It will go down in history as one of the greatest verses ever, in my opinion, if only because it shows that not all rappers who rap about selling cocaine are unaware of its social effects and pitfalls. Classic.

It shames me to no end
To feed poison to those who could very well be my kin
But where there's demand, someone will supply
So I feed them their needs at the same time cry
Yes it pains me to see them need this
All of them lost souls and I'm their Jesus
Deepest regret and sympathy to the streets
I see them pay for they fix when they kids couldn't eat (so sorry)
And with this in mind, I still didn't quit
And that's how I know, that I aint shit (I aint shit)
My heart bleed but that's aside from the fact,
I live for my kids and theirs and them youngins after that


Damian Marley ft Capleton, Stephen Marley & Drag-On- It was written
I might go slightly overboard with the Damian Marley tunes (I've already posted like 3 of them this year), but that's just because he's bloody awesome. I love reggae with all of my heart and soul, but I just can't listen to it during autumn and winter. Too fuckin' depressing, to tell you the truth. Well, summer is in its death throes, so here's to the last reggae song I'll listen to this year.

Serge Gainsbourg ft Jane Birkin- Je T'aime...Moi non plus
I am an avid fan of Serge Gainsbourg, and you should be too. If you want to know about under-appreciated geniuses of the twentieth century, he's someone you need to look into. Gainsbourg pour toujours.

We've got a whole lot of good stuff planned in the near future. We're working on making your Avenge The Virgins experience a whole lot more enjoyable. Thanks for stickin' around for the ride. We appreciate it.

-Matt

3 comments:

  1. why is there a picture of my girlfriend on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyy
    That's my photo..
    I would like if you gave me credit! Thanks :)

    My name is Sarah O'Driscoll

    www.flickr.com/odriscollsarah18

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, sorry bout that. I grabbed it off some random tumblr, cant remember which to be quite honest.

    ReplyDelete