12/10/2010

ɯɹoʇsʍous


Hey, Matt here.

Well, the weekend's here. Therefore, I've decided to post some of my absolute favorite songs on Avenge The Virgins today. While I relentlessly support rap and electronic music almost every single day on this blog, my true love is stripped-down, often acoustic "indie" rock music. It is balm for the soul.

I hope that you enjoy these songs as much as I do. I suppose a few are a bit heavy on the melancholy, but whatever. I can't even count the times that I've listened to these over the years.

Neutral Milk Hotel- Oh Comely

Broken Social Scene- Stars and Sons

Jets to Brazil- Perfecting Loneliness

Okkervil River- Black

Bob Dylan- Don't Think Twice, It's Alright


To finish off the post, I've included an absolutely phenomenal mix by Canadian DJ Neoteric (founder of the Mystery Mix). I've always enjoyed Neoteric's output, and I came across this mix on his soundcloud a few days ago. Elliott Smith is perhaps my favorite singer/songwriter, so to see a DJ I respect for his electronic music selection make a mix paying tribute to him really took me by surprise. I guess I'm not alone in thinking that Elliott Smith was one of the greatest talents ever. Neoteric pretty much nails it with both the mix and the little write-up below.

The Best Of Elliott Smith (Arranged by Neoteric) by Neoteric

The Best of Elliott Smith (Mixed by Neoteric)

As DJs, many times we put together sets for others. This time I wanted to put something together for myself,for whenever the mood happened to hit. This isnt a DJ mix in the traditional sense, it flows more like a radio show or concert. These songs have been the soundtrack to some memorable times in my life, and I wanted to compile this collection for my own listening, but I know the thousands of fans of the late Elliott Smith will appreciate this too. I added some dialogue and interview clips, and tried to find a good flow to mix, and group similar songs together by mood and theme. The music might seem emo and moody to some, but that wasnt what drew me to it. The melodies caught me, and have stayed stuck in my head for years. Melody was kind of Elliott's thing, and he often cites the Beatles as one of his main influences. I'm quite aware his music is sometimes the soundtrack of the downtrodden, and those struggling with life, and all its temptations, but it's also for the music lovers, such as myself who appreciate his undeniable creativity and songwriting. I don't think I've ever heard an artist who could express the extremes of happiness and
sadness, both so well. Rest In Peace Elliott Smith.


Tracklisting:
Angeles
Independence Day
Miss Misery
Waltz #2
A Question Mark
Baby Britain
Bled White
Say Yes
A Passing Feeling
Twilight
Tomorrow Tomorrow
Between The Bars
Sweet Adeline
Happiness
I Didn't Understand
Last Call
2:45 AM
Needle In The Hay
Strung Out Again
A Fond Farewell

I'd like to take this time to thank all of you for your continued support and love. Believe me, we do read every e-mail and every comment that we receive. We apologize for taking too much time to respond, but we do appreciate the fuck out of y'all.

Stay up.

m.

No comments:

Post a Comment