8/15/2010

Après-Midi


It's kind of funny how one's musical tastes can morph, depending on the time of year. At the beginning of the year, I was heavily into tech house and electro house bangers, and it seems that as time goes on, I become way more mellow.

I've been listening to a lot of techno as of late, and my recent obsession has been bizarre electronic music that borrows heavily from latin genres, like guarachero and cumbia. Anything with an off-kilter tribalesque beat really appeals to me these days, much more than nosebleed electro does. On the other side of things, I've been also listening to way too much indie folk/pop. Somewhat chill vibes for a Sunday afternoon.

Art Nouveau- Paradise (Original Mix)

We've already posted about Art Nouveau a few times so far, ever since we discovered them earlier this year. They released this new tune for free on their facebook page a few days ago, and I must say they've proven their talent once again. This is a a very laid back tune, not a dancefloor destroyer like Miracle, but its subtle rhythm, tambourine rolls and medieval flute combine to make something special. This duo from Reims is making big waves in the electronic music scene, and will definitely be a name to watch out for in the near future.



FIVE by samosoundboy

This dude just doesn't stop. I really dig his output, and this song in particular has been my anthem for the past little while. It is a rather simplistic tune, to be honest, but that ascending melody and the great drums make it into a tribal dance hall anthem. I was going through the archives over at the amazing Mixpak blog, and came across an interview with Samo Sound Boy, and dude seems really quite humble and interesting.

He mixes club music with an interesting blend of latin sounds and influences, and the result is a great backdrop for tropical booty-shakin' raves. Enjoy his recent tune FIVE, which has been rinsed by the fantastic Sinden to great acclaim.

Selah Sue- Raggamuffin

Selah Sue is a 21 year old from Belgium whose soulful voice and jazz-influenced songwriting have been earning her accolades across Europe. She's got a rather interesting vocal style that I've heard compared to a softer (and sober) Amy Winehouse. This particular song is pretty awesome, even though some might have a problem with a small white girl singing in patois. She covers Barrinton Levy during the chorus, and I think that she throws it down quite proper.

She's got a real soulful and earnest allure to her, and will probably be very popular in the coming years, if she doesn't succumb to the typical trappings of young artists in the music business. Here's a video of her performing it at a Tommy Hilfiger benefit show. Dig the extreme enunciation, peeps.



Angus & Julia Stone- For You

This Australian brother/sister group is probably my favorite indie find of 2010, so far. Their album Down The Way was the soundtrack to my month in Vietnam, and I've been happily discovering their earlier EPs and album recently. Their simple songwriting, folky tendencies, cute lyrics and soft acoustic sounds are probably what makes me love them so much. It just seems like really honest and heartfelt folk/pop music, which is like balm for the soul. Then again, maybe I have a weakness for somewhat nasal female voices that sing songs of longing (coughcoeurdepiratecough). Either way, I hope you dig this song, and this video of them performing it live. If you don't, that's cool, too. Take it easy.



I'm going to be going to the countryside for the next couple of days, and Calibar is spending the next 15 days in Europe, so Bynie will be your go-to man for updates. See you soon.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment